Year and 10 months later

Hellooo 1year and 10 months ago I fractured my skull and had to get the blood drained off my brain was unconscious in the ER the first 3 weeks. Then had to re learn how to do basic things like walk and swallow food. It took at least 1 year to get most of my thoughts back in order etc. like how I processed things mentally.
So I’m curious how things after for other people who’ve had bad brain damage done are handling daily life now years into it, what things have changed etc.? :grin:

2 Likes

For me everything has changed…Left my family, moved 1700 miles away 14 years never driven again…I live my life one day at a time and keep things simple

1 Like

what things have changed etc.? EVERYTHING.
I can no longer work, that’s been massive.
I have to pace everything I do, that’s been really foreign
Skills I took for granted have evaporated.
My sleep, ohh, what a mess. Thank God for sleeping tablets.

So that’s every waking moment and every sleeping moment
“what things have changed etc.?” EVERYTHING.

Merl

2 Likes

basically I am referred to by all doctors since my skiing accident dating back to the day of december 27 of the year of 1990, as a very high functioning TBI survivor. and yes, went through the same ordeals that many of us TBI survivors have gone through. Not being able to eat, walk, talk or even to bathe myself. But in time, every thing that took me 25 years to learnm and perfect, I had to reteach my mind, body and spirit how to do all of them over again!!! And I got my driver’s license back almost 29 years ago. Which was a life saver in my estimation. Cause I did not need for anyone to have to drive myself to any location that I wanted to go to. And have been living on my own for the past 20 years now. And living every day as a new challenge for me to sucseed. So my best advice for you is to meditate and visualize every thing that you have on your mind for that day. And the act of visualizing is a key to any TBI survivors well being in my opinion. And it is pretty much to the same as repetition Cause the more that you do for a variety of things, the easier it shall become for yourself. Which is a fact, and not just my opinion.

2 Likes

This really can depend John. For some, yes, it is possible. But unfortunately those ‘some’ does not include all. For some of us our injuries can mean we no longer have the physical ability, nor the cognitive ability, to do so. Our minds can be convinced we can do as before, but the realities can be FAR, FAR from it.

Merl

Hey Bethany, this may sound strange but when I got hurt (1990) I was told I would see changes for up to 5 years. Im saying that to say you still may see somethings improve so keep on trying to better any losses ect. Ive learned that any improvements Ive had were from hard work. I did Ok for a lot of years got married had a child. Now that im in my 60s feels like the dimentia I had after coma is coming back. The best info/advice I can give is focus on what you can do not what you cant, love yourself, be patient with yourself and any disabilitys you might have. I was also told that every brain injury is different and I see that clearly 30years later. To answer your question at this point feels like Ive had 2 lives before I got hurt and my life since. there will be good days and bad days depending on what issues your having. When Im talking to people sometimes they look at me like I have six heads so I know Im not making sense. Some days people keep saying what after I speak that tells me my slur is strong that day. I think most people with TBI will say this “feels like you spend most of your day acting like everything is Ok” as you try to understand what people are saying to you or what your response should be. Not sure what issues you might be having but they’re not your fault
OH YA I talk more then I use to lol Sorry for the rant

1 Like

Hey John,
It’s good to see you are still around, it’s been a while.
I have to agree with many of your statements above, especially the ‘2 lives’, the ‘before and after’ and that bit ‘…issues you might be having…they’re not your fault…’ OHH SO TRUE!!!

I had a real battle with the ‘before and after’. I could before, so I can now. But I couldn’t and that annoyed me and I ‘metaphorically’ beat myself up about it all. I had the drive, but I didn’t have the ability anymore. All of my body’s normal limits had vanished, so I pushed those new limits to get things done. That was a BAD idea. It used to be if I had a task, I did it. But now I have to plan it in steps and rest when it’s needed. The more I push my limits, the more symptomatic I become. I have learnt that I need to have more patience with myself (and others).

As much as I’ve tried to overcome my issues, following through with all of the advice I’ve been given, I’m still highly symptomatic and some days PHEW, it can be so exhausting. Some may understand all of this, some may not but “…they’re not your fault…”

“Sorry for the rant” Well, if that’s a rant John… You keep ranting :wink:

Merl