Research Flyer for Those with TBI Whom Have Attempted to Return to Work

My name is Roland Valdes. I am a doctoral student at Northcentral University in Arizona. I am conducting a research study about discrimination that people with TBI encounter when they attempt to enter or reenter the workforce. I am completing this research as part of my doctoral degree. I invite you to participate.
Activities:
If you participate in this research, you will be asked to:

1. Sign and return consent form
  2. Pre‐screening questionnaire, five minutes
  3. Face‐to‐Face or internet interview, about 30 minutes.
  4. Possible follow‐up interview, about 10 minutes
    Eligibility:
    You are eligible to participate in this research if:
  5. You have a history of moderate to severe traumatic brain injury.
  6. You have been in a coma for over one day because of the injury.
  7. Your traumatic brain injury must have occurred over one year prior to the commencement of participation in the study.
  8. You are not intellectually disabled and must have an IQ in the normal range or above (90 +).
  9. You must be able to consent to participation, and thus cannot have a legal guardian or conservator.
  10. You must be over the age of 18, under age 65.
  11. You must have attempted to seek employment or return to previous employment.
    You are not eligible to participate in this research if you do not meet the requirements noted above. I hope to include eight participants in this research. In addition, in order to participate you also cannot
    currently have (or recently had within the last 3 months) thoughts of suicide or homicide or have been diagnosed with a bipolar or psychotic disorder.
    Risks: There is a minimal risk, which means probability and magnitude of harm or discomfort anticipated in the research are not greater in and of themselves than those ordinarily encountered in daily life or during the performance of routine physical or psychological examinations or tests, to participants in this study. If you have questions for me, you can contact me at ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■, Phone: 713-■■■■■■■■. Your participation would be a gratefully appreciated event.

I too suffer from a TBI which kept me in a coma for two months followed by 10 months of rehab. I have just about completed two graduate degrees since. And this topic is one I have personally encountered hence my reason for research in the area.

That’s encouraging to hear! My sweetheart has an MBA and a strong work history. He sustained a moderate to severe TBI on May 30th of this year so he doesn’t qualify for your research, but he’s scheduled to return to work in about 6wks so I’m o pins and needles that it goes well. The info about his injury leaked out so people at work know too much. I’m worried he won’t be treated appropriately at work. I’ve worried his intelligence won’t be enough to keep his job because he’s become very verbally judgemental and abrasive since his injury. You give me hope for a good and productive life ahead for him!

The purpose of this phenomenological study is to provide an understanding of the lived experiences of individuals with TBI pertaining to perceived discrimination in the workplace. Additionally, this study seeks to explore the primary means to diminish discrimination in the workplace. Understanding the lived experiences of individuals with TBI may equip employers with the knowledge they need to diminish discrimination in the workplace and better implement the requirements of the ADA.

He should get hold of me once he returns to work. I went through discriminatory issues with a Master’s degree and an MBA, hence my Doctoral study now.